RECIPE: BBQ CHICKEN CALZONES & BACON JALAPENO PINEAPPLE STUFFED CRUST PIZZA WITH HOMEMADE KETCHUP, BBQ SAUCE & PIZZA SAUCE

Ultimate Scratch Cooking Pizza Night: Ketchup, BBQ Sauce, Pizza Sauce, Pizza Crust, Crockpot BBQ Chicken 



DELICIOUS AND EASY PIZZA/CALZONE CRUST

it's not perfect I know. It's my first attempt & many lessons learned (like, roll the dough under those cheese sticks & see if that keeps my cheese in place). But when it's topped & all done it's delish!

You'll need two batches of this, one for the calzones & one for the pizza

2 1/2 to 3 cups flour (can use a combination of white and whole wheat if you prefer)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) yeast
3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 cup very warm water

Combine yeast, sugar, 1 cup of the flour, and salt in a large bowl. Add the warm water and oil and mix. Stir in remaining flour slowly until dough is soft but not sticky. Knead until smooth. Let the dough rest for at least 30 minutes before making the calzone.
I made this pizza crust in my bread machine, set on the dough cycle which takes 1 1/2 hour. I put the ingredients in this order:
water & oil
flour
sugar & salt
use the back of my table spoon to make an indent in the top center & pour my yeast in there

Options: put a couple of teaspoons of italian seasoning or parmesean cheese in with the sugar & salt.

Once finished on the dough cycle I floured my counter, dumped out my dough and used my rolling pen to roll out the dough for my baking sheet, rolling a little excess so I could roll the dough around my cheese sticks.
I placed mozzarella cheese sticks end to end along the edges, flopped the excess dough on top, doing my best to tuck & squish the edges closed (I failed, the cheese oozed out, so what). I then poured a little olive oil in a small bowl & tossed in a bit of italian seasoning & brushed this all over my crust, the edges, the center, EVERY WHERE. And I stabbed the bottom of the crust with a fork a few times to prevent bubbling in the bottom.
I cooked on 375* for about 25-30 minutes.

 

CROCKPOT BBQ CHICKEN

BBQ Sauce
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts

The amounts depend on how much you want. I want left overs so we can have bbq chicken nachos & bbq chicken sandwiches for tomorrow. So I used two packages which is about 6 breasts.
I put about 2 cups BBQ sauce in the bottom of the crockpot & then wash, rinse, cut off any fat or yucky looking chicken pieces & toss in the crockpot, adding about another cup or so of BBQ sauce on top of the chicken.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours. Or low about 6 hours (8 hours always seems too long for anything in my crockpot, but it's old & crotchity, so get to know your crockpot).


QUICK & EASY KETCHUP


This recipe is a new  frequent request around here. It's delicious, I control the ingredients, and it seriously could not be easier to whip up a batch. Danny says this tastes like McDonalds packet ketchup, I don't know but either way I'm glad he likes the ketchup :) 

12 oz. tomato paste
1/2 - 2/3 c. water (or more to thin to desired consistency)
4 T. vinegar
1/2 t. onion powder
1/2 t. garlic powder (granulated garlic works fine, it's what I had on hand)
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. cinnamon
3/4 t. sea salt
1/8 t. cloves
1/8 t. allspice
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
1/4 c. brown sugar

Whisk all ingredients together in a medium bowl, if it's one you have a lid for it makes for easy cleanup because you are done & the ketchup is ready to serve or refrigerate for later use. It tastes great immedietly & the flavors continue to meld & blend given time...mmmmm

QUICK & EASY BBQ SAUCE


This is DELICIOUS!! And easy, and quick, and I had everything on hand. This recipe will make approximately 4 cups of sauce

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups Dark Brown Sugar, packed
1-1/4 cups Ketchup (go ahead, use your homemade ketchup, that's why I gave you the recipe)
1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
2-1/2 teaspoons Ground Mustard
2 teaspoons Paprika
1-1/2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/2 cup Water

Mix all ingredients adding the water last so you can control the desired consistency of your sauce. I made the recipe as is for a thinner sauce which is perfect for the crockpot which will thicken the sauce during cooking. Other recipes or meals I want a thicker sauce so I'll add less water. Refrigerate leftovers

 

QUICK & EASY PIZZA SAUCE 

When cooking I always have a shadow, just incase I spill, he's a great helper at cleaning up ;)

15 oz Tomato Sauce
6 oz Tomato Paste
4 tsp italian seasoning (or 2tsp basil & 2 tsp oregano)...whatever tickles your tastebuds
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8-1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder/crushed garlic/refrigerated crushed garlic OR 2 cloves fresh crushed

Mix & use. Refrigerate leftovers.


Now, that we have all the homemade, delicious details worked out, let's get down to business!! Pizza & Calzone Business ;)

 

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER WITH BBQ CHICKEN CALZONES AND BACON/JALAPENO/PINEAPPLE STUFFED CRUST PIZZA


BACON/JALAPENO/PINEAPPLE STUFFED CRUST PIZZA

Assemble this pizza using your prepared stuffed crust.
Ladel on your homemade pizza sauce (as much as you like, I'm a saucy kinda girl so I go a little heavy...not too crazy though)
Sprinkle on about two handfuls of shredded mozzarella cheese & one handful of parmesean cheese (depending on the size of your pizza)
Crumble up some cooked bacon (mine was leftover from breakfast) and sprinkle on top of the cheese layer.
Place jalapenos across the pizza (I used tamed, code word for seedless & less heat, and let the juice drip off my fork on to the pizza)
Either open a can of diced pineapples or dice up some fresh and place across the pizza.
Sprinkle another few handfuls of mozzarella cheese across the pizza, covering your toppings and another handful of parmesean cheese as well.
Sprinkle with italian seasoning if you'd like (I couldn't, I used all mine up making the sauce, darn it)
Brush olive oil on the crust.
Bake at 375* for about 25-30 minutes, just until your cheese is melty and bubbly. Brush olive oil across the crust right after pulling out of the oven

BBQ CHICKEN CALZONES


Take your Pizza Crust Dough (**not prebaked**) and divide into 4-6 dough balls. (I made 4 large calzones we shared)
Roll One dough ball out to your preferred size, and crust thickness, about the size of a pie crust
Spoon one or two (or more) scoops of BBQ sauce in the center area of your calzone
Sprinkle on a handful of mozzarella cheese & a bit of parmesean cheese.
Shred or dice up your crockpot bbq chicken and spoon some on top of your cheese
Fold over your Dough & use the edge of a fork to seal edges. Place on your cooking sheet. (If you wait the dough gets warm & gooey, if you do it quicker it's easier to move)
Brush crust with an olive oil, italian seasoning (if desired) and egg white wash
Bake at 375* for about 25-30 minutes, until your crust is nice & golden. Brush with olive oil after pulling out of the oven (note: not the olive oil/egg white mix)


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment